Senior Subsurface Technologist - Carbon Solutions
Senior Subsurface Technologist - Carbon SolutionsReq ID 76055BR Job category Research & Technology Countries (State/Region) Texas Location United States - Texas - Houston
- Carbon Solutions (CS) is a team within Group Technology which provides BP business-focused and customer-led carbon risk management, by the identification, evaluation, and development of selected technologies and commercial options that could deliver material risk reduction and value build for a sustainable energy future for BP. The Senior Subsurface Technologist is a senior level leader (SLL) role in the Carbon Solutions team.
- The successful candidate will play a key role developing and evolving BP's position on climate and energy sustainability and the management of Carbon Risk. He/she will provide/develop subsurface expertise on Carbon Capture, Utilization and Storage (CCUS) through technology development and business support projects.
- This position is a SLL role in BP’s capability of CCUS and will provide subject matter expertise (SME) to BP Group Technology, BP businesses and BP Group Strategy.
- This position presents an opportunity for the successful candidate to have global exposure to project and technology leadership activities across BP, and with BP Group leaders, as well as key external academic/industry partnerships and governments.
- Lead and manage a portfolio of projects that give prioritized support to BP businesses.
- Responsible for providing specific project leadership and subsurface technical studies/assurance to Upstream/Downstream business projects.
- Contribute to the CS technology plan, including leading and contributing to studies for the CO2 Capture Project (CCP), the Oil & Gas Climate Initiative (OGCI), and other BP proprietary subsurface technology projects.
- Contribute to the BP expertise and capability in CO2 storage and CO2 EOR with storage.
- Accountable for assessing carbon abatement options for BP businesses that include subsurface technologies, methodologies and tools.
- Accountable for maintaining awareness of industry subsurface technologies and evaluating them to test the potential of their application to reduce carbon emissions in BP.
- Accountable for maintaining specific relationships with industry groups and government agencies to exchange information and collaborate on technology development.
- Understand and interpret policy implications on CCUS and carbon risk management and how these might impact BP business.
- University degree in Petroleum Engineering or Geoscience.
- A post-graduate degree is preferred.
Essential experience and job requirements
- Broad understanding of the oil and gas industry.
- Understanding of interactions between technology, policy and commercial environments in managing greenhouse gas emissions.
- Recognized within BP, and externally, as an expert in subsurface engineering/geoscience. Demonstrated skills at mastery or expert level in one or more areas – petroleum systems, subsurface characterization, reservoir drive mechanisms, reservoir monitoring and surveillance and reservoir management under gas and water injection methods.
- Ability to appropriately engage and influence BP and JV operations to apply recommendations made.
- Strong links across external technology community: academia, industry and government.
- Ability to communicate complex data, themes and strategies effectively.
Other Requirements (e.g. Travel, Location)
There are no additional requirements. Please respond with N/A below.
Desirable criteria & qualifications
- Awareness of the ethical need for environmentally sustainable oil and gas production and compliance with regulations.
- Broad understanding of climate change and the energy transition.
- Broad understanding of other low carbon energy technologies (e.g., nuclear, wind, and solar).
- General enthusiasm and demonstrated commitment to the application and implementation of technology.
- Experience in technical mentoring and supervision of other’s work.
- Experience of providing consultation (either internally within a company or as an external business).
Is this a part time position?
Our business is the exploration, production, refining, trading and distribution of energy. This is what we do, and we do it on a truly global scale. BP operates with business activities and customers in more than 80 countries across six continents. Every day, we serve millions of customers around the world. We are continually looking for talented, committed and ambitious people to help us shape the face of energy for the future.
The Research and Technology team is part of the Group Chief of Staff office. The role of Research & Technology inside BP is twofold: to provide leadership and oversight for Technology across BP; and to lead Research & Development (R&D) in emerging areas and in support of corporate renewal.
Corporate & Functions
[ "09-Mar-2017" ]