Construction Manager NORTH STAR( Fix term 38 month)
Construction Manager NORTH STAR( Fix term 38 month)Req ID 77872BR Job category PROJECTS Countries (State/Region) Central Location China - Central - Shanghai
The Construction Manager (CM) will be accountable for the key construction aspects of project delivery from the Define stage through into Execution. The CM will be responsible for the project construction management plan, constructability study, construction planning, construction safety (including control or work) and stakeholder engagement throughout during the Define and Execute stage, as well as providing commissioning support as the project moves to operations.
This role sits in our Castrol business, a part of the BP Group. Join Castrol and you’ll get all of the benefits of a company steeped in family spirit and history, coupled with the security and opportunities a big corporation can offer.
Work location is Shanghai (12 month) and then relocating to sites (2 years)
The CM will be the Project Construction SPA throughout the duration of the project. Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
• Develop the project construction management plan, constructability study, construction safety, and regulatory aspects for the project during Define and Execute stage.
• Provide the leadership and support through facilitation skills, best practices, methodologies and tools of construction management to ensure a high success ratio of the project and successful progress from Define to Execute Stage.
• Working together with the Project HSSE Manager, ensure that all work planned and performed on the project is aligned and complies with all regulatory and BP practices in relation to HSSE.
• Supervise the Project Construction Organization (EPC or EPMC) on the project and the process flow during Define and Execute stages.
• Plan, forecast and manage construction resource requirements alongside the Project Manager to ensure safety, schedule, budget and quality standards
• Develop and manages the project construction management plan effectiveness.
• Communicate project construction management reporting and any associated issues with the Project Manager and Project Construction Organisation
• Coordinates IPA and other key controls reviews (PSDR etc.)
• The CM will work with the Project Manager and Engineering Manager to mitigate all impacts to field progress and reporting during FEED and the detailed design.
• Responsible for developing and conducting constructability study & plan and support process safety resolutions to mitigate hazards during construction period and ensure operational risk is under control after construction.
• Ensure construction safety plan is well developed and the construction design in FEED and the detailed design should be in line with BP Core Design, GDP (Group Defined Practice) and local authority mandatory requirement.
• Work with global, regional and local government agencies to ensure compliance with all regulations and organizational requirement
• Communication to all project stakeholders appropriately to manage construction and construction safety plan. Escalate projects with high construction risk to appropriate stakeholders.
• Capture and apply learnings from Taicang Expansion Project.
• Professional Engineering Degree or Construction Management degree is highly desirable
Essential experience and job requirements
• 10+ years’ experience with full cycle, end-to-end construction management responsibility
• Extensive major projects construction experience with multi-discipline, multi-contract projects > $150m USD
• Experienced in providing effective HSSE leadership accountability across a diverse project organisation comprised of both BP employees and contractors working in a construction environment. Setting and role modelling expectations, processes and behaviour instil and maintain a proactive and positive safety culture to achieve HSSE outcomes during development and execution.
• Track record and experience of leading and delivering Greenfield and Brownfield projects construction management in Lubricants / Petrochemical / FMCG / Pharmaceutical Plants of $150m USD or higher.
• Track record of project execution in China.
• Coordination of multiple contractors and work fronts
• Broad familiarity with different construction techniques, their risks and practical mitigations
• Expert in control of work and permit to work systems
• Deep understanding of changes and the ability to analyse their consequences on a construction task
• Track record in developing a proactive safety culture on large construction projects, with multiple contractor groups and a diverse and local workforce.
• Fluent in reading and written English and Mandarin is mandatory
Other Requirements (e.g. Travel, Location)
Desirable criteria & qualifications
The Construction Manager is required to be familiar in the design and engineering aspects of the project, while having a comprehensive knowledge of construction processes associated with capital projects. Furthermore, he or she should be familiar with BP’s technology and the process engineering requirements behind it. With these competencies the CM can identify risks during the design and construction phases and mitigate the HSSE, cost, schedule and quality ramifications of unwanted changes.
Yes - Domestic (In country) only
Yes - up to 25%
Is this a part time position?
Our business is the exploration, production, refining, trading and distribution of energy. This is what we do, and we do it on a truly global scale. With a workforce of over 80,000 employees, BP operates with business activities and customers in more than 80 countries across six continents. Every day, we serve millions of customers around the world. We are continually looking for talented, committed and ambitious people to help us shape the face of energy for the future
BP has been operating in China since the early 1970s. With a total investment of US$4.7 billion at the end of 2009, BP is one of the leading foreign investors in China. BP’s business activities include offshore gas production, chemical joint ventures, aviation fuel supply, LPG import and marketing, oil product and lubricant retailing, solar power installations and manufacturing, and the sales of chemicals technology.
In addition to these commercial projects, BP has been actively engaged in energy research activities, particularly clean energy and alternative energy R&D initiatives, aiming to develop clean, sustainable and local energy solutions to support the Chinese economic development. The projects we are involved in include
- Clean Energy Facing the Future – a 10-Year R&D initiative in partnership with Chinese Academy of Science
- Clean Energy Commercialization Centre, a research joint venture in Partnership with Chinese Academy of Science
- BP- Tsinghua Clean Energy Research and Education Centre
- BP-Sun Yat-Sen University Center for LNG Education, Training and Research
In parallel, BP has been working to invest in the community to help address the local issues. By the end of 2009, BP’s total community investment in China exceeded US$12 million and BP’s community practices have been recognized by “2007 Multinational Corporation with Utmost Core Competitiveness in China” Award jointly issued by UNEP and China International Institute of Multinational Corporations, and also “China’s Best Corporate Citizenship Award” by 21st Century Business Herald and 21st Century Business Review for 5 consecutive years since 2004.
[ "11-Apr-2017" ]