Organisational Capability Advisor (Projects)
Organisational Capability Advisor (Projects)Req ID 76515BR Job category Human Resources Countries (State/Region) South East Location United Kingdom - South East - Sunbury
This position is accountable for supporting Downstream project organizations and professionals across the Downstream project portfolio within the assigned Region. The major accountabilities for this position are divided into three main work streams: Regional Resource Management, Site/Project Organizational Design and Benchmarking, and Regional Engagement. The Projects Organizational Capability Advisor must build consultative partnerships within the Region and leverage processes and tools across the three work streams to increase individual, team and organization capability.
The Resource Management accountabilities include; maintaining a comprehensive view of bp project professionals, as well as existing resource gaps and interim roles, in order to facilitate timely and qualified talent placement (within region). The incumbent will ultimately coordinate and ensure that the right people are placed in major projects and entity project organizations at the right time. Additionally, the incumbent will need to have experience in resource management as well as a firm grasp on the Downstream regional/global project portfolio.
The Organizational Design and Benchmark accountabilities include; conducting and/or analyzing both internal and third-party organizational reviews of Downstream project teams for system-wide learnings and to drive adoption of best-practice organization design for departments and teams. The incumbent will partner with the RTE Projects Performance Management team for site/entity benchmarking and to assure organizational (effectiveness) benchmarking by third-party providers. The organization design and analysis will influence the resourcing, recruiting, and development efforts supported by the Organizational Capability team.
The Engagement accountabilities include; facilitating a regional engagement strategy that promotes information sharing and leverages of best practices (for talent/capability and performance management). The incumbent will serve as a liaison between the Projects Organizational Capability team, the RTE Central Projects team and the Regional Project Community of Practice (CoP) as they collectively work toward the delivery of the Capital Effectiveness Improvement Plan.
This role will support the Downstream Project Personnel Management Team (PPMT), the Downstream Projects Staff Development and Deployment Network (SDDN) and the entity project teams to manage world-class project resources. This role is an integral part of the Projects Organizational Capability Team and the role will report directly to the Projects Organizational Capability Manager.
- Track available and potential project resources with understanding of professional background and qualifications, career aspirations and potential future moves
- Work with Downstream stakeholders to establish project demand and supply pools for major project and site project leadership roles
- Recommend candidates for open major project and site project leadership roles
- Develop appropriate reports and metrics to support resource optimization
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with project professionals and internal stakeholders, including project leadership and HR
- Work cooperatively with site/entity project and HR teams to develop and implement succession and staffing plans
- Monitor and support organization effectiveness through third-party industry benchmarks and internal Organization Capability Reviews
- Define and support implementation of action items in the site Capital Effectiveness Improvement Plan
- Analyze benchmarking reports to establish industry best practice organization design in site/entity-based or major projects organizations
- Correlate organizational capability metrics with project performance to recommend changes that will drive towards industry leading performance:
- Staffing requirements for planned portfolio
- BP staff in leadership and key roles
- Appropriate competency mix
- Balanced talent pipeline
- Organizational trends across Downstream Projects
- Drive Capital Effectiveness Improvement Plan objectives and support communication of progress
- Engage with site project leaders on Downstream projects engagement initiatives
- Coordinate and lead community calls
- Coordinate and lead regional community meetings
- Support, participate and serve as a liaison between the Project Community and Central Projects team for the Regional Projects CoPs
- Proactively identify opportunities for best practice sharing within and across regions
- Partner with Projects Organizational Capability team to manage Annual Engagement Survey
Essential experience and job requirements
- Extensive in human resources, organizational design/effectiveness, talent management, resourcing or related experience
- Self-starter, self-managed individual
- Understanding and experience supporting deployment of consistent & repeatable processes, methodologies and tools throughout the organization
- Strong collaboration and partnering skills
- Uses a range of styles to influence and gain the enrollment of different levels in the organization, ranging from senior leadership to newly hired project engineers in multi-cultural environments
- Analytical skills, with the ability to integrate information, identify trends and to diagnose underlying cause and effect
- Working knowledge of BP talent management processes/tools
- Experience working globally and working across different cultures and time zones
Other Requirements (e.g. Travel, Location)
Based in Sunbury, London.
10% travel required.
Desirable criteria & qualifications
- Understanding of the CVP project process
- Actively seeks out best practices in own area of contribution
- Builds and maintains networks to enhance effectiveness and share knowledge
- Basic data analysis and statistics skill
- Organization design experience
- Recruiting experience
Yes - up to 10%
Is this a part time position?
Our business is the exploration, production, refining, trading and distribution of energy. This is what we do, and we do it on a truly global scale. BP operates with business activities and customers in more than 80 countries across six continents. Every day, we serve millions of customers around the world. We are continually looking for talented, committed and ambitious people to help us shape the face of energy for the future.
The Refining & Marketing Segment is responsible for the supply and trading, refining, marketing and transportation of crude oil and petroleum products to wholesale and retail customers. We market our products in over 80 countries, operating primarily in Asia, Europe and North America but also in Australia, Africa and Central and South America.
To remain one of the world’s premier integrated oil companies, BP recognises that it needs a highly respected, high performing, world class HR function which combines the provision of strategic advice to business leaders with efficient and effective transactional support to line managers and employees. HR is one of 3 shared service functions (HR, IT & Services and Finance) that, together with our operating management system and code of conduct act as ‘bolts’ for the company across all BP businesses, helping to ensure that we follow a common purpose. We are looking for talented, committed HR professionals who can work with the business to deliver the right people solutions that create competitive advantage to the organisation.
[ "24-Jan-2017" ]