Optimisation SpecialistReq ID 76297BR Job category Information Technology & Services Countries (State/Region) South East Location United Kingdom - South East - London
The Optimisation Specialist will be responsible for the analysis, development and operation of optimisation technologies for BP’s global business. He or she reports to the Head of Core Analytics Technology, is involved in all aspects of delivery and support.
As part of the role, the Optimisation Specialist will work closely with Traders and Operators in order to optimise various aspects of BP’s operations, ranging from efficient logistical operations (for example, shipping scheduling), to working with traders to ensure our portfolios are kept optimal. The Optimisation Specialist will develop a deep understanding of the optimisation algorithms and of the business context in which the team operates.
The majority of the individual’s time will be focused in writing code, while pursuing software engineering best practices for design, build and test. High-quality documentation, traceability and knowledge sharing is expected.
Additionally, the Optimisation Specialist will work directly with the Head of Core Analytics Technology on the evolution of the current technology platform in place, as well as the long-term strategy and roadmap for the increased use of optimisation in BP.
This is a unique role well positioned to create substantial value for the business and requires an individual with the right mix of technical, quantitative and communication skills.
• Key specialist of BP’s Optimisation technology – functionally, technically and quantitatively.
• Work closely with the business leaders to create value for the business through optimisation.
• Strive for excellence and continuous improvement in software architecture, Agile methods and build systems, as well as the underlying optimisation algorithms.
• Work with the Head of Core Analytics Technology to shape the long-term strategy and roadmap for the expansion of optimisation activities across BP.
• Help develop the talent of junior team members and encourage best practice.
A quantitative advanced graduate degree from a recognized university – preferably with previous work related to optimisation.
Essential experience and job requirements
• Very strong mathematical and numeracy skills.
• Experience in optimisation. Examples include linear programming and solving a TSP using a heuristic approach such as simulated annealing, genetic algorithms or machine learning.
• Advanced knowledge of Java and associated ecosystem (Maven, Jenkins, for example).
• Good understanding of Computational Complexity Theory (EG: Big-O notation).
• Ability to work closely with the business, draw out their requirements and create a mathematical model.
• Strong communication skills with ability to present ideas well graphically as well as verbally.
• Strong team player and willingness to share knowledge and best practices.
Other Requirements (e.g. Travel, Location)
Desirable criteria & qualifications
• Experience with the Eclipse IDE, and Eclipse Rich Client Platform.
• Experience in logistics, physical supply and trading optimisation.
• Energy Industry knowledge.
• Knowledge and experience in machine learning techniques and data science.
• Experienced with use of Agile/Scrum.
Yes - Domestic (In country) only
Is this a part time position?
Our business is the exploration, production, refining, trading and distribution of energy. This is what we do, and we do it on a truly global scale. BP operates with business activities and customers in more than 80 countries across six continents. Every day, we serve millions of customers around the world. We are continually looking for talented, committed and ambitious people to help us shape the face of energy for the future.
Integrated Supply & Trading (IST) is BP's face to the traded markets for BP in oil, gas, power, chemicals and finance. IST's role is to enhance Group value through distinctive supply, commodity trading, risk management and information technology skills underpinned by a world class finance, control and compliance infrastructure. IST has a dynamic and highly skilled workforce, which creates value by combining analysis and commercial innovation with the material asset base of BP.
IST fosters a diverse and inclusive workplace for all employees. We are proud of our stance on fairness, equal opportunity and meritocracy, which focuses on all of our employees reaching their full potential.
IST Information Technology & Services (IT&S) is the progressive global IT arm of BP. The expertise IT&S provides is central to the operation and development of Integrated Supply & Trading (IST) - one of the world's largest energy trading businesses. Delivering innovative solutions for supply and commodity trading activity across IST's Global Gas and Oil Strategic Performance Units is at the heart of what IT&S does.
Our people and culture are diverse, reflecting the truly global nature of our business - in excess of 500 employees provide a presence in over 50 countries, with key hubs in London, Chicago, Houston, Calgary and Singapore. We support our people by offering an exciting variety of professions and provide excellent training opportunities to help them progress their careers.
Integrated Supply & Trading
[ "06-Mar-2017" ]