Lead LP (Linear Programming) Planner
Lead LP (Linear Programming) PlannerReq ID 77653BR Job category Engineering Countries (State/Region) Indiana Location United States - Indiana - Whiting
The Lead LP Planner leads a team of LP analysts on the refinery Production Planning team and reports to the Whiting Refinery Optimisation Manager. The team's scope includes short term in-month planning, mid-term planning (2 year rolling plan), RAID/retro analysis and fuels quality reporting. This role leads a key part in setting refinery production plans as well as identifying and capturing optimization opportunities. As such the Lead LP Planner has a significant impact on the refinery's bottom line.
The role will work closely with other leaders in the refinery to determine and agree key production plans. As such, the successful candidate needs to have a strong ability to have impact and influence/challenge with personnel at different levels in the organization.
This role is expected to have joint accountability to serve both as the Whiting LP team lead and either as the in-month or midterm planner. The final determination on which planning time frame this role will be accountable for will be determined based on the skill set and experience of the selected candidate and business need.
- Accountable for developing a high performing team capable of identifying opportunities and constraints to increase refinery gross margin delivery. This accountability includes recruiting, succession planning, coaching, work prioritization, and performance management of four direct reports – 3 LP Planners/Commercial Analysts, and an Engineering Assistant.
- This role will be serve as the Whiting RAID (Retro Analysis Improves Decision Making) SPA and be accountable for delivery of the RAID agenda.
- Expected to enhance capability for LP users at Whiting to improve their analysis, interpretation and conclusions from the LP to drive optimal business decisions.
- Accountable for working with the LP Developer, the broader Production Planning/Supply team interface, Process Engineering, and Optimization Engineering to identify and prioritize LP improvement activities.
- Accountable for partnering with Process Engineering, Optimization Engineering, and Operations teams to lead efforts to capture commercial opportunities to drive incremental gross margin for direct effect on the refinery’s bottom line.
- Accountable for leading LP analysis activities for Whiting and across the Production Planning/Supply team interface. This accountability includes prioritizing activities and aligning resource plans with those priorities.
- In addition to team lead responsibilities, the Lead LP Planner will be accountable for developing and executing LP cases to support one of the three main LP activities supported by the production planning LP team: short term in-month planning, mid-term planning, or retro analysis.
The mid term planning component will also include the following accountabilities:
- Obtain relevant refinery inputs which will be used to develop the annual production plan which is a key part of the business’ commitment to the corporation
- LP case setup, execution and analysis working closely with the Project Development group in supporting business development activities
- As team lead for the Engineering Assistant, the lead LP Planner will be accountable for government reporting related to fuels quality.
B.S. Engineering degree
Essential experience and job requirements
- 7+ years of refinery process engineering experience or 7+ year of refinery operations experience or 7+ years of supply and optimization experience
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a team with strong impact and influencing skills with a track record of success
Other Requirements (e.g. Travel, Location)
There are no additional requirements. Please respond with N/A below.
Desirable criteria & qualifications
- Extensive experience (2-3+ years) in running and analyzing a refinery LP output to drive business decisions.
- B.S. in Chemical Engineering preferred
- Experience in teaching and building team capability for refinery LP run development, output analysis and interpretation would be a strong attribute
- Experience in implementing best practice for RAID or retro analysis
Is this a part time position?
Our business is the exploration, production, refining, trading and distribution of energy. This is what we do, and we do it on a truly global scale. BP operates with business activities and customers in more than 80 countries across six continents. Every day, we serve millions of customers around the world. We are continually looking for talented, committed and ambitious people to help us shape the face of energy for the future
The BP Whiting Refinery is located on the south-western shore of Lake Michigan and the Indiana Harbor Ship Canal in the communities of Whiting, East Chicago and Hammond, Indiana. Whiting Refinery is the second largest refinery in the BP refining system, and the 6th largest refinery in the United States. Operations began in 1889, prior to the advent of the automobile.
Today, BP is investing several billion dollars in Northwest Indiana to modernize its Whiting Refinery for the processing of heavier crudes. The modernization is essential to the long-term viability of the refinery, and includes well over a billion dollars in environmental improvements. BP Whiting Refinery employs thousands of full-time employees and contractors. The Whiting Refinery Modernization Project is employing thousands of additional contractors. The modernization project will provide for greater energy security in the Midwest, as conventional supplies of the lighter crudes diminish, and are replaced by heavier crudes.
As we progress with the project, the health, safety and security of our employees, and of those who come into contact with our operations and products, remains our highest priority. Our policy is that no job is worth doing, unless it is done safely, while protecting our shared natural environment.
[ "19-Jan-2017" ]