Counsel, Mexico Retail and Lubricants
Counsel, Mexico Retail and LubricantsReq ID 76783BR Job category Legal Countries (State/Region) Texas Location United States - Texas - Houston
This Commercial Counsel role will serve as BP’s lead commercial Downstream lawyer for Mexico and be responsible for providing strategic legal advice and counsel to senior Downstream leaders and other senior management on key legal developments and issues affecting Retail, lubricants and other Downstream businesses In addition to supporting growth plans (i.e., Retail), this role will also provide recommendations of legal strategy for management of key issues and to play an active role in the development and implementation of legally compliant and commercially focused business strategies.
The Mexico Retail business is part of a strategic opportunity to enter Mexico as the country seeks to deregulate its energy industry to encourage foreign investment. This presents BP with the opportunity to grow a retail business (which is a global strategic priority) in Mexico to a significant scale. The Mexico Retail business is currently being managed by as a commercial development opportunity and has been a fast-paced high profile Project that faces a plethora of market entry challenges and issues including but not limited to anti-trust, legal entity formation and associated operating issues, fuel/product specification with government regulators, franchise/distributor regulations and contractual negotiations and a multitude of other areas where there are no clear existing procedures to follow within BP. Eventually and possibly in the near future, this project will become its own business with a leadership team based in Mexico City and a longer term set of strategic priorities to support as well.
The Lubricants business is part of International Businesses, within Downstream comprising five market-oriented business units globally:
- Automotive and Industrial, markets lubricating oils and associated services mainly for industrial applications, cars, bikes and trucks in four Regions: Europe & Africa, Asia Pacific & Middle East, Americas and China;
- Marine & Energy, markets lubrication solutions to the local and international shipping, and oil exploration and power generation industries;
- These businesses are supported by a common Global Supply Chain (GSC) as well as a Global Marketing and Global Account Management (GAM).
The Mexico Lubricants business markets premium, high-performance lubricating oils and solutions to customers and consumers directly and through distributors. The leadership team for Mexico is mainly based in Mexico City. The Legal Counsel will enable the Lubricants Business to tap into the law as a resource for the business’ sustainable competitive advantage. As part of that they will legally empower the Lubricants Business and proactively manage the legal needs of the Business to include risk and opportunities management. The role will require development of a deep understanding of the Lubes business in order to play an active role in the business’ drive to develop and execute legally compliant and commercially savvy business solutions.
For Mexico Retail
- Provide and coordinate strategic guidance and strategy for new market entry and new business development in Mexico where there may be limited to no prior BP procedure or history to rely on.
- Identifying and advising as to current regulatory compliance requirements (which are still changing and developing), creating compliance processes, as well as supporting the advocacy needs of the business with emerging regulations and trends in a variety of commercial work streams.
- General legal counseling on energy, regulatory, licensing, permitting, labor, employment, litigation, health, safety, environmental, occupational risk, retail, franchise, distribution, competition law/anti-trust, real estate, corporate and advertising matters.
- Operate as a leader within BP Legal in coaching and encouraging colleagues to work as One Team in supporting the plethora of legal issues that will arise with the Mexico Retail market entry and business.
- Provide strategic business focused legal counseling on BP retail, aviation, supply, logistics, operational, portfolio and business development activities
- Providing legal advice and counsel to the BP Mexico and BPESE project teams and businesses on complex legal issues which may have significant implications on business performance.
- Providing day-to-day transactional assistance in the nature of drafting, reviewing and supporting the negotiation of various contracts and other commercial arrangements.
For Mexico Lubricants
- Provide legal support to the Mexico Lubricants business, which will entail development of close working relationships with the local management in Mexico City.
- Provide day-to-day legal support for commercial and transactional activity to various groups and teams throughout the business, including the distributor and sales teams, global supply chain, procurement, and marketing teams.
- Draft and negotiate various agreements for the business, such as procurement agreements, distributor agreements, product supply agreements, logistics, and sales agreements.
- Provide legal advice on a broad variety of issues, including antitrust, anti-bribery and corruption, HSSE, trade sanctions and contracts.
- Manage litigation, collection, and trademark issues.
- Manage external counsel.
- Manage labor issues, including general advice and interface with external counsel; managing employment holding company.
- Manage corporate filings and registrations, corporate governance, Foreign Investments Registry filings; data protection obligations. Provide support for BP’s health, safety, ethics, code of conduct, and compliance agenda.
- Degree in Law
Essential experience and job requirements
- 6-12 years practicing law in Mexico (in-house or external).
- Demonstrated ability to work with senior management on a strategic level.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well a part of a broader legal team.
- Strong technical legal skills, combined with an ability to take a strategic view on the challenges and issues facing the lubricants business.
Other Requirements (e.g. Travel, Location)
There are no additional requirements. Please respond with N/A below.
Desirable criteria & qualifications
- License to practice in Mexico (DF)
- Fluent in English and Spanish (Oral and written fluency).
Yes - up to 25%
Is this a part time position?
Our business is the exploration, production, refining, trading and distribution of energy. This is what we do, and we do it on a truly global scale. BP operates with business activities and customers in more than 80 countries across six continents. Every day, we serve millions of customers around the world. We are continually looking for talented, committed and ambitious people to help us shape the face of energy for the future.
The purpose of the Legal function is to provide legal services to the Group in order to further the maximisation of business opportunities and value and the minimisation of business risks and liabilities.
BP Legal lawyers and support staff work closely with their colleagues in the Businesses, Regions and Functions to deliver exceptional results in transactions, disputes and issues management.
Building on its existing strength, BP Legal has developed its strategic priorities, in line with the Group Strategy, to achieve its vision and address present and foreseeable challenges.
Corporate & Functions
[ "19-Jan-2017" ]